Best Persian Bread Ever ! Barbari bread recipe | Perfect for both beginners and pros
Ah the world of breads, filled with fascinating doughs and variations from all sorts of cultures. In this week’s bread blog post we got something special for you all and it’s from Iran. Iranians bake quite interesting breads. This comes also with their breakfast routines where families usually spread cheese,butter, jam or honey on their bread and enjoy their meal together.
We got this fantastic recipe from “ My Dastarkhwan” , youtube page to cook your own homemade barbari bread which is a famous Iranian bread which Iranian-Turks are famous for. We hope you enjoy the recipe and also make sure to watch the video once to get a better idea on the techniques.
700g Plain unbleached flour
300g Whole wheat flour
1.5 tablespoon Yeast
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon salt
75m mL warm water
50ml Olive oil
Work surface (baking board)
1. Add in 700g Plain unbleached flour into a bowl
2. Add in 300g Whole wheat flour
3. Add one and half tablespoon Yeast into the bowl
4. Add 1 tablespoon sugar and then add 1 tablespoon salt and combine everything together with hand
5. After the combining step, add 750ml warm water into the bowl
6. Then, add 50ml Olive oil and combine everything together again with hand while adding the remaining water
7. Scrape the dough onto a well floured work surface (baking board) and sprinkle some flour on the top of the dough
8. It’s time to knead the dough. Just grasp the side of the dough furthest away from you and fold it in half, towards you. Place the knuckles of both hands on top of the dough and use your body weight to push the dough into itself
9. Stretch the dough, cover it with wrap and fabric for an hour
scrape the dough onto a work surface covered with wrap and cover it with fabric for 5 minutes
10. After five minutes, remove the cover and push the dough into itself with your fingers. Then stretch it until the dough flat. Then cover it for 20 minutes
11. While waiting for the dough, we can make a special sauce for the bread. Put a pot on the oven, then add one and half tablespoon Plain flour into it. Then add two thirds of a cup of water. 12. Mix and then cook it on low flame for 5 minutes while steering it thoroughly.
13. Let the sauce cool down completely before applying to the flat dough. Once it's cooled down, spread it on the dough with a brush.
14. Then push the flat dough into itself using your fingers, then sprinkle Sesame and black seeds on the flat dough
14. Place parchment paper inside a baking loaf pan and then place the dough inside.
15. Bake the dough in preheated oven at 200’C for 25-30 minutes or until it becomes golden brown
And there you have it! Your very own homemade Persian barbari bread. We hope you found this recipe very fun and tasty. Please do see the video by “ My Dastarkhwan” to ensure that you also get the kneading techniques right.
Are you looking for more bread recipes? We got quite a few simple and easy bread recipes for you in our “Bread Baking Guide”. We have recipes like the Italian Ciabatta Bread and Homemade Dinner Roll which we think you will absolutely love.